Good: The Dyson DC41 Animal Complete cleans like you would anticipate for a high priced vacuum cleaner. The Tangle-free Turbine and the other brush attachments add additional function for more cleaning options.This vacuum sucks -- in a good way.
Room for Improvement: Given the price tag on this vacuum, some of the design elements are annoying, and would make me really have to think about spending the retail for this particular model.
First off, the fine print. Dyson sent me a DC41 to review. I was really excited to try this vacuum, and part way through testing, I realized that when you test and review vacuums you actually use them... Dang! Tricked into vacuuming every day.
The Dyson arrived in a box just like you would purchase it in a store. Knowing that most of my friends rarely look at instructions, I pulled out the vacuum and commenced assembly to see how well it went together. For the most part, it was pretty simple -- although there were a few glitches as you'll see in the images.
As an aside, I was getting ready to write my review when I encountered a Dyson demo person at Costco and chatted with her about some of my experiences. One thing that all the men in my world commented on was the lack of a ground plug on a vacuum to be used around animals. I'll admit they know me, and know I am likely to vacuum over water or knock into water bowls and buckets and a ground may be helpful. There was also talk about "accidents" from the pets, and while I don't have that problem in my life, there are certainly folks that do have some wet spots around their homes. The rep shared that she believes housing codes make houses safe to not need grounded items -- she may not have been into the knob and tube wired houses that belong to my friends and family. Anywho, no great solutions to my concerns, but it was interesting asking the questions and getting tips.
I've always thought of Dyson as a forward-thinking company, and this is my first experience with their products, and based on this vacuum, I fear they may have let the consumers down. Performance - This vacuum worked really well. It sucked up dog hair, sand, cereal, and more. Of course that was hampered a bit by the need to double-click to get the vacuum to stand upright, the wand extension has no handle and no easy way to hold on to it, no grounded plug, bag-less (it does vacuum that back up pretty well when it dumps on the carpet), heavy.
Let's start with the double-click to lock upright and the need to yank that handle hard to get the vacuum to move out of the 90-degree parked angle. There is no lever to step on, and everyone that tried this vacuum looked for that, and if you don't yank it hard enough, the entire vacuum will rock backward. Once you get the vacuum out of parked position, you'll want to double check where the small wheels are. If they are up, you vacuum will perform really well, if they are down, you'll wonder why Dyson gets so much press on being a great vacuum.
In the same area, when you go to put the handle up, be attentive to the dobule-click so you know the handle in up and locked in place. If not, practice your cursing for when that handle crashes down into your shins and ankles. This is an expensive vacuum and it shouldn't be this hard to lock the handle.
Speaking of handles, why doesn't the wand portion have a handle? When I pulled that out to use it there was no good place to hand onto it. The hose does reach a fair distance, but it was unwieldy. Using the hose was considerably louder than the regular vacuum -- the dogs really disliked the extension hose, but don't mind the actual vacuum. The Tangle-Free Turbine is really cool though, with the brushes moving in different directions and even with long strands of hair there was none caught in the mechanisms.
The one place this vacuum really did well was in picking up dog hair. It worked great on the carpet, tile, linoleum and wood. The add ons also worked great to get hair off furniture and from the edges of the rooms. Since this was billed as an animal vacuum, I think this piece is critical and the vacuum did better on that than the Oreck commercial level machine that is my regular vacuum.
I liked the ball technology, and it does let you maneuver more easily than a standard vacuum. I was surprised at how easy it was to drive around given how heavy the actual machine is -- about 17-pounds and it feels quite a bit heavier than the standard Oreck.
The canister is made of clear BPA plastic that is apparently the same material used in police riot shields -- perhaps that is for dogs that like to attack vacuums? The canister is easy to pop on and off the vacuum, and I only dumped the entire canister of hair and dirt onto the floor twice. For the most part, the canister dumps easily into the trash bin or a trash bag, but as with most bag-less machines, there is dust and particles that will escape.
How often should you dump the canister and clean the filters? Well I would suggest after every vacuuming, but you probably could do a few runs and still be okay. There is a mark on the canister that clearly shows a full line so that is easy enough. Once I looked at the instructions, Dyson recommends washing the filter out at least once every three months. A quick rinse under warm water followed by 24 hours of air-drying is all it takes to keep them clean -- pretty simple.
This vacuum is okay and I love the ability to get dog hair, sand and dirt up from the carpet and hard floors. For the price, the design flaws mentioned above would make me pass on purchasing this particular unit at current retail pricing.
The Dyson DC41 Animal is an upright vacuum cleaner designed to help remove more dirt, dust, allergens and pet hair from the home. It features Radial Root Cyclone™ technology, in which airflows have been remodeled to maximize suction power. The cleaner head on the DC41 Animal self-adjusts to different floor types, so there are no knobs or dials to adjust. It has an active base plate, which creates optimal cleaner head contact, reducing air leaks and retaining more suction power. This technology gives DC41 Animal the strongest suction at the cleaner head. DC41 also features Dyson Ball™ technology making it easier to steer closer to edges, and into hard to reach places. The included Tangle-free Turbine tool uses counter-rotating heads with brushes to remove hair and dirt—without tangling. In addition, the DC41 Animal Plus also includes the flat out tool, soft dusting brush, flexi crevice tool, and mattress tool. The instant release wand stretches up to 5 times in length for stairs and high reach cleaning, and the clear bin empties at the push of a button. DC41 Animal has a lifetime washable filter, and there are no bags, belts or filters to buy. It comes with a 5 year warranty, parts and labor guaranteed by Dyson, and features Dyson cyclones, which capture more dirt than any other.
- Radial Root Cyclone™ technology - Airflows remodeled to maximize suction power
- The strongest suction at the cleaner head - Cleaner head self-adjusts for optimal contact- even on hard floors
- Turns on a dime - Ball™ technology steers smoothly. Easy access to awkward places.
- Lightweight and durable - Engineered materials are selected for their strength and durability. Less weight and bulk.
- Captures allergens. Expels cleaner air. - DC41 captures microscopic particles such as pollen, mold and bacteria.
- Tangle-free Turbine tool - The only turbine tool that doesn’t tangle. Counter-rotating heads with brushes remove hair and dirt. A clean air turbine provides the flexible heads with constant power over uneven surfaces. There’s no brush bar for hair to wrap around, it’s released straight into the bin.
- Soft dusting brush - The Dyson Soft dusting brush removes dust and allergens from flat surfaces, delicate areas and upholstery. The fine nylon bristles on the Dyson Soft dusting brush are angled at 45 degrees to sweep dust into the airflow, and it has a felt strip down the middle of the brush to help protect some polished and delicate surfaces from scratching.
- Flexi crevice tool - The Dyson Flexi crevice tool extends and flexes to clean awkward gaps, such as between cabinets and beneath car seats. Stiff nylon bristles at the end of the Flexi crevice tool help dislodge stubborn and ground-in dirt, including food waste and other debris. Airflow is faster at the tip - to remove dirt and debris from hard to reach corners and gaps.
- Flat out tool - The Dyson flat out tool articulates for effective pick-up, and is especially handy for cleaning under low furniture and household appliances.
- Mattress tool - The Dyson Mattress tool removes dirt, allergens and dust mites from mattresses and upholstery.
- Instant release wand - Stretches up to 5 times in length for stairs and hard to reach places
- Fingertip controls - To instantly turn the motorized brush bar off for hard floors, delicate floors and rugs.
- Cable release catch - Twist 180° to quickly release the cable
- Clear bin - Made from tough polycarbonate- the same material as riot shields
- No belts to replace - Timing belt doesn’t slip and is guaranteed for 5 years
- Motorized brush bar - Independent motor drives the brush bar for better cleaning performance
- Lifetime washable filter - No need to buy replacements
- Pedal-free automatic recline mechanism - Simply recline and go
- Combination tool - Reaches further and has softer bristles for improved spot cleaning and gentle dusting
- No extra costs - No bags, belts or filters to replace
- Tangle-free Turbine tool
- Combination tool
- Soft Dusting Brush
- Flexi Crevice Tool
- Flat Out Tool
- Mattress Tool
- Color: Iron/Rich Royal Purple
- Suction Power: 235
- Amps: 12
- Bin Capacity: 0.55 gallons
- Cleaning Path: 13.3 inches
- Hose and Wand Length: 15.4 ft.
- Cable Length: 35 ft.
- Max Reach: 51.7 ft.
- Premotor Filter: Lifetime (3 months washable)
- Postmotor Filter: Lifetime washable filter (3 months washable)
- Assembly required
- Dimensions: 42.1" H x 15.5” W x 13.4" D
- Weight: 17.1 lbs.
- 5 Years Warranty Parts and Labor
- Brand: Dyson
Carpet Height Adjustment: Automatic
Cord Length: 35 ft.
Depth: 15.4 in.
Filter Type: Washable Air Filter
Height: 42.4 in.
Rug/Floor Switch: Yes
Vacuum Type: Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Weight: 17.1 lb.
- Width: 13.4 in.